Can't emulate Google Finance graphs with Log(arithmic)Axis

Discussion about JFreeChart related to stockmarket charts.
Xavion
antibot: No, of course not.

Can't emulate Google Finance graphs with Log(arithmic)Axis

Post by Xavion » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:03 am

Dear Developers,

I'm trying to emulate the graphs of stocks on Google and Yahoo! Finances - using LogAxis and LogarithmicAxis (in v1.0.19) - without complete success.

The following screenshot was taken of a graph that uses LogAxis on the y-axis.

As you can see, the horizontal (range value) bars are equidistant from each other. This might be valid in some situations, but it's not how Google and Yahoo! do their graphs.

The following screenshot was taken of a graph that uses LogarithmicAxis on the y-axis.

As you can see, the horizontal bars get closer together as the value increases. However, note that the only values specified on the right are "1" and "10". No matter what I try, there doesn't seem to be a way to get more numbers showing up there.

The other thing is that the horizontal bars revert to being further apart above the "10" mark. This might be valid in some situations, but it's not how Google and Yahoo! do their graphs. Their horizontal bars keep getting closer together until the top of the graph (i.e. regardless of the base).

To save you from having to open up Google/Yahoo! Finance to see what I mean, below is a screenshot of a graph on the former website.

Is there any way that I can get LogAxis or LogarithmicAxis to display graphs in this style? If not, can someone modify the code to make one (or both) of them allow it? I think this is an important feature for JFreeChart to have if it's to be taken seriously by developers of financial software.

Regards, Xavion.

Coty542
antibot: No, of course not.

Re: Can't emulate Google Finance graphs with Log(arithmic)Ax

Post by Coty542 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Hey my professor Dr. Aloke Ghosh is also doing research on Google finance graphs. I think you both should work together. May be you guys get complete success by finding out correct figures!