interface openoffice spreadsheet data with jfreechart

Discussion about JFreeChart related to stockmarket charts.
othmanelmoulat

interface openoffice spreadsheet data with jfreechart

Post by othmanelmoulat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi,
I'm developing a java openoffice.org extension and need to generate a complex OO chart (combined candlestick & line chart)
the UNO API for charting com:sun:star:chart API is very complex and difficult to use.i thought to use jfreechart to generate my combined chart.

Is there a way to interface jfreechart with Openoffice.org spreadsheet data ?

I'm ready to write this interface in java if i'm given some hints & guidelines how to tackle the problem.

Thank you for helping in this issue.

othmanelmoulat

Post by othmanelmoulat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:05 pm

It seems to me that in openoffice UNO API all it matters is the interface. Therefore if i can redefine the interface, i may even use the jfreechart library behind the scene to draw the chart in the canvas.
if i use the jfreechart library, i need a way to map the spreadsheet data to the format expected by jfreechart. I believe i need to married the jfreechart with com:sun:star:chart2 in UNO. The jfreechart library is a good candidate to physically draw the chart in the canvas while the chart2 interface already have the infrastructure in place to understand the data in the spreadsheet like range, columns etc.
can someone please advise me how to rewrite the UNO interface so it can use jfreechart behind the scene to draw a complex chart type ?

i know this is a challenging problem. I hope i can find a smart person in this forum who can give me Ideas & hints how to tackle this problem.

Regards.