Suitability of JFreeChart for Realtime Stock Charts

Discussion about JFreeChart related to stockmarket charts.

InteractiveBrokers is using JFreeChart

Post by Guest » Fri May 28, 2004 7:52 am

FYI, Interactive Brokers (http://www.interactivebrokers.com) is using JFreeChart in their Java Trader Workstation. A user can pop up a chart dialog for any contract and get daily, weekly and intraday charts (1 min to 1 hour ticks) updated in realtime. See the snapshot below for an intraday cahrt of NQ futures contract.

http://limejuice.fastmail.fm/ib_chart.nq.html

It is a nice example of JFreeChart used in a financial application.[/url]

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:49 pm

The optimisations i have done have worked amazingly well.

I simply change the draw method in the plot to not render the plot if it is out of view (of the scrollbars).

I have real time scrolling of 100 charts, 200 items. Its about 100x faster than the current implementation and only took a few minutes.

It does break printing but you can get around that.

cheers.

vdg

more info??

Post by vdg » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:40 pm

I just came across this thread..as I am looking to do the same thing: realtime charts for stocks:)

I want a simple chart for a few symbols with some technical indicators on it...but REALTIME.

IF someone has a solution ready for this, please contact me: vdg2u at yahoo dot com.

Some $$$ are to made here, as I am willing to pay for a solution like this:)

Fede

Using JFreeChart For RealTime stockmarkets

Post by Fede » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi!
i'm working in a project where i'm using JFreechart for technical AnalysisTool.
I have to plot intraday graph in real time (every minute).
I'm now looking about performances issues and how manage in the best way JFreechart to have good performances results.

I noticed that some persons have a lot problems using JFreechart for StocksMarket and real time ploting and other are really satisfied about it.

So I would like to know if anybody have some advice or easy ways to use JFreechart Faster.

By example is more suitable to display 10 stocks graphs(intraday,2d,5d,1m 6m 1y....)simultaneously, or display only one repainting it at the requested time?

Are some method that can be modified (byy example the draw method of a Plot) to get it faster?
So i just would like to avoid to fall in some traps due to a bad coding or a gap of experience .

Thanks a lot