Clic'n'drag with JFreeChartWrapper (Vaadin)

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
DV_low_peer
antibot: No, of course not.

Clic'n'drag with JFreeChartWrapper (Vaadin)

Post by DV_low_peer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:36 am

Hey there,

I'm using JFreeChartWrapper with Vaadin, to wrap a JFreeChart Gant, and add it to a portlet.
I first tried to put my JFreeChart into a JFrame. It worked good, and one functionnality I really liked (and I still want on my new project) is the ability to zoom in on the chart by clicking and dragging (right/left) on it.
But when I added the chart to my Vaadin project (currently testing my portlet with tomcat v7.0 server at localhost), I discovered there was no possible interaction with the chart. Is there a way to fix it ?

Thanks for your help,
DV

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

Re: Clic'n'drag with JFreeChartWrapper (Vaadin)

Post by david.gilbert » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:38 am

I don't know Vaadin much, except that it's used to build web applications. I presume it delivers JFreeChart charts to a web page as images (or perhaps SVG?), which limits the interactivity that is possible. If you want interactivity in the browser, you pretty much have to give up your principles, and probably your hopes and dreams, and dive into JavaScript. There are many JS chart libraries out there, some of them are quite decent.

I created a version of Orson Charts for HTML (using Dart compiled to JavaScript), which you can see here:

http://www.object-refinery.com/orsoncha ... index.html

It only has 3D charts though, no 2D charts (they will come later).
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program

DV_low_peer

Re: Clic'n'drag with JFreeChartWrapper (Vaadin)

Post by DV_low_peer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the answer.
I may follow your advice. But as I'm not used to javaScript, do you know any tutorial I could follow to "dive into it" ? :) to fix this problem !

Thanks again,
DV.