ChartFactory Injection of Timezones.

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Starbase
antibot: No, of course not.

ChartFactory Injection of Timezones.

Post by Starbase » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi,

Firstly a big thank you to the developer of JFC for writing such a great piece of software.

We currently use JFC in our Starbase Observatory software and it's fundamental to the operation of out software, however we've hit a snag which we've been unable to see a resolution too. Starbase has been written to remote control Amateur Radio Astronomy hardware in multiple geographic locations and as such we need someway of overriding/injecting different timezones from the default JVM timezone. I've searched though the forum and come across a number of post that seem related but not come across a resolution.

What I'd like to know is are there any plans to add constructors to ChartFactory to allow injection of TimeZone and Locale into time-dependent charts?

Regards

Mark

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
antibot: No, of course not.

Re: ChartFactory Injection of Timezones.

Post by david.gilbert » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:42 am

This should only affect the time series chart and Gantt charts I guess. I'd rather not add parameters to the methods, since they are already more complex than they should be---in JFreeChart 2 I have removed the orientation, legend, tooltips and urls arguments to make these methods simpler (it's always possible to construct charts from their component pieces, or modify the chart post-construction, if you need more control). The options are (1) use a global default as is already done for the chart theme, (2) leave it to the caller to modify the resulting chart after it has been constructed (the DateAxis has a setTimeZone method).
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program