Code Contributions

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
smcleod

Code Contributions

Post by smcleod » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi David,

I'm a long time user of JFreeChart, both as a server-based chart generator, and embedded in desktop software. I use JFreeChart throughout my commercial product Poker Copilot.

There are a few tweaks I'd like to make to JFreeChart, and rather than fork my own version, I thought to check on whether you are still taking contributions from developers. I noticed that the dev mailing list is virtually moribund.

My most pressing desired change is more control over how a background image is aligned. A less-pressing change is greater interactivity.

Please do let me know if and how I can contribute.

uvoigt

Re: Code Contributions

Post by uvoigt » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi,

regarding interactivity:
There is a pending patch http://sourceforge.net/p/jfreechart/patches/309/ which adds great enhancements to zooming and panning. Maybe some of your requirements are solved by this patch. See also related thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116907 for a discussion about this patch.

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
antibot: No, of course not.

Post by david.gilbert » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm not always great at managing external contributions, but please post your patches. For the 1.0.x series, it is important that the API doesn't get broken. If you have changes that require modifications to the API, the the JFreeChart-FSE project on GitHub has much more freedom to change things:

https://github.com/jfree/jfreechart-fse

FSE just stands for "future state edition", it will be JFreeChart 2 eventually. There are also some interactive features in jfreechart that aren't available in 1.0.x (data selection features mostly).
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program

smcleod

Post by smcleod » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look the JFreeChart-FSE project before creating any patches.