improve realtime chart performance

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
goldie
antibot: No, of course not.

improve realtime chart performance

Post by goldie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi all,

I am using a DynamicTimeSeriesCollection dataset in a TimeSeriesChart to show live data on a chart.

The rate of getting new data is only one per second, but the requirement is that the chart should scroll smoothly. To achieve that, in the chart updater thread I calculate the data point between the new data and the latest one, and keep adding the interpolated values to the chart for example 20 times in a second.
This works well on a small resolution chart, but when I put the window on a FHD or bigger monitor the chart became sluggish.

Any idea how to speed up chart drawing?

Or is there any solution to implement a smooth scrolling chart with value updates coming in just in every 1 second (maybe some trick to not to draw the already drawn point just scroll them somehow)?

Things I tried:
- decrease chart resolution by:
chartpanel.setMaximumDrawWidth(myGUI.throughPutChartPanel.getWidth()/2);
chartpanel.setMaximumDrawHeight(myGUI.throughPutChartPanel.getHeight()/2);
(not helping)

- using -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true - no visible difference in speed

- not adding shadowgenerator: it helped a bit, so now there is no shadows, but that is still OK

Thansk a lot in advance
goldie

edit:
oh and I tried XChart and the chart library in the VisualVM java profiler, both claim that they are faster for real time charts then jfreechart, but they are much slower.

edit2:
btw the datasets are not big, only 3 lines showing 1 minutes of data (so 3 dataset each with 20 x 60 data) (20fps during 60 seconds)

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

Re: improve realtime chart performance

Post by david.gilbert » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 pm

Each chart repaint will redraw everything, so it isn't the most efficient. There aren't any optimisations available to make it faster, unfortunately. There was a project that was optimising for realtime updates:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jrobin/

I don't think it is maintained anymore (I might be wrong though) but it could be worth a look.
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program

goldie

Re: improve realtime chart performance

Post by goldie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:11 am

Hi David,

thanks for the answer!
btw. I tried with a more powerful hardware and now it looks kind of OK.

have a nice day