CVS from sourceforge

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Dino

CVS from sourceforge

Post by Dino » Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:33 pm

I checked out the latest source code from sourceforge (via anonymous) and most of the files contain control characters (if one opens the file with wordpad, then there are no new lines). However, some of
the files are fine (eg. DateTile.java, AbstractTitle.java).

I use cvs extensively at work and I know that the client deals with line feeds/new lines fine for window and unix boxes.

Has anyone else had this problem? And how does one clean this up?

Dino

David Gilbert

RE: CVS from sourceforge

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:17 pm

Hi Dino,

I just checked out all the code from CVS as a test, but I can't see any control characters. I'm running Linux (RedHat 7.1) and do most of my development in JBuilder Foundation 4...I also looked at some of the files in emacs and they looked OK.

Unfortunately I'm no CVS guru, so if anyone else can help please jump in...and if it's something to do with the way I'm committing source files into CVS, then let me know.

Regards,

DG.

Joel

Post by Joel » Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:26 pm

Are the characters you're seeing ^M? If so, it has to do with *nix vs. Windows arch. *nix uses just the newline to terminate a line, whereas Windows uses both a newline and a carriage return. If you're on *nix, there's a utility called dos2unix and unix2dos that'll convert between the two. If you're on Windows, go to

www.freedownloadscenter.com

and do a search for dos2unix. You can get the utility there.

Cheers,
Joel

Dino

Post by Dino » Thu Jun 28, 2001 10:31 pm

I do have ^M characters. However, the cvs client should handle this. I use cvs at work and everything works fine (our cvs server is on a solaris box and virtually everyone uses a windows box on the client).

I'm just wondering why checking stuff out onto my windows box from
sourceforge is causing this problem. I will try this on a solaris box and see what the results are there.

dino

Dino

Post by Dino » Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:48 pm

Ok, I checked it out on a solaris box and I still get the
^M characters under vi.

If I view the file under Linux, then vi (which is vim under linux) shows that the file is in dos format.

This tells me that the orignal development was done under windows,
copied to unix and then checked in. This would explain this
behaviour.

Dino