willing to do enhancement, but need ideas.

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Phillip Rhodes

willing to do enhancement, but need ideas.

Post by Phillip Rhodes » Fri Jul 13, 2001 3:52 am

Hi.
I need to enhance JFreeChart to allow the specication of tick labels at specified points in the value axis....

For example, if I had a graph illustrating blood pressure. The values, by themselves do not tell us if we have "high", "low" or "normal" blood pressure.

so...

imagine a bar chart, where you are in the "normal" range.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
LOW | NORMAL | HIGH

I will enhance the chart to display the "high, normal,low" value labels for specified ranges.

I know I will have to do some real work, but looking for any pointers on the api.
Also want to know if others could use this feature.

David Gilbert

RE: willing to do enhancement, but need ideas.

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Jul 15, 2001 8:24 pm

Hi Phillip,

The axis classes are designed to be relatively independent of the plot (as far as they can be) so you should be able to change the tick representation fairly easily, by modifying the draw(...) method. . I've implemented regular ticks (only) since that's the usual case, but there's nothing to stop you modifying the code to draw ticks only where you want them (and maybe color coding the axis, or even the plot area).

When I finally get around to implementing logarithmic axes, I'll find out whether or not the way I chose to implement the axis and plot classes separately actually works! But I'm interested to hear how you get on with making your change...

Regards,

DG.