JFreeChart or Chart2D

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Patrick Hartling

JFreeChart or Chart2D

Post by Patrick Hartling » Fri Aug 03, 2001 6:06 pm

Does anyone have experience with both JFreeChart and Chart2D? I am evaluating both of these for use in a network statistics visualization application. From what I have seen, JFreeChart looks more appealing except that dynamic charts are not fully implemented yet. The software I am writing will almost certainly need a dynamic chart, but if I can implement a dynamic chart relatively easily on my own with JFreeChart, I am willing to go that route.

Tony Cheung

RE: JFreeChart or Chart2D

Post by Tony Cheung » Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:20 am

Hi,

I am looking at both JFreeChart and Chart2D as well.

Here's something I noticed,

JFreeChart provides some charting types, such as the xy-plots and high/low/open/close charts, which are not available in Chart2D.

Both JFreeChart and Chart2D has not been fully implemented to support Dynamic Chart. Chart2D only supports dynamic charts by allowing users to pass in a new dataset and then signal the chart to update itself by calling the repaint() API.

JFreeChart provides more detail documentations.

JFreeChart privides a more flexiable datasource structure, Chart2D requires passing in an array of arrays of floats or an array of floats.

Any more comments?

Tony Cheung

Patrick Hartling

Post by Patrick Hartling » Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:07 pm

This is all very interesting and helpful information. Thanks, Tony! I too feel that the documentation for JFreeChart is better, and that is one of the reasons I have been leaning towards using JFreeChart over Chart2D. The note about dynamic charts is especially interesting, though. Based on everything you have said and my own observations, I think I am going to commit to JFreeChart (with some level of abstraction just to be safe). Thanks again.

-Patrick

Scott Serr

Post by Scott Serr » Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:17 pm

I am also evaluating the two. In addition to the above, I found Chart2D does not support negative data numbers. Also, it has not been around for as long. (although it seems very active right now) The author is asking if someone wants to take it over.