SVG output

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
George

SVG output

Post by George » Wed Aug 22, 2001 10:03 pm

Hi -

I just started looking that the source and have a quick question.

How difficult would be to tweak the chart output so that it can go to a file/stream as SVG/XML format?

Where should I start looking. I see draw() in some of the classes. That seems like a decent place to start.

Also - as a rough estimation. How many days would it take you to do the work - given that you know the code well. I'm trying to get an estimate for level of effort - once the code is understood.

Thanks!

David Gilbert

RE: SVG output

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Aug 23, 2001 5:33 am

Hi George,

I vaguely remember reading that someone (Sun?) was working on some code to convert Graphics2D methods directly to SVG. JFreeChart does all it's drawing to a Graphics2D instance, so if the software exists, that would be the best way to do it. It would require no modification to JFreeChart...just a little bit of code similar to the printing code in the demo.

DG.

George

Post by George » Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:54 pm

DG

Thanks - the Sun Graphics2D link took me to that Apache site. http://xml.apache.org/batik/ Looks like they now have the package.

I'll look at - Thanks again.
-gas

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Jan 07, 2002 6:10 pm

An update on this...I tried out the Batik package today, and it works really well with JFreeChart. Thanks to all the developers on the Batik project (part of the Apache project) for making this possible...

Regards,

DG.