Chart without Lines

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
John Currier

Chart without Lines

Post by John Currier » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:30 pm

Is there a chart that just displays the datapoints (of something like a TimeSeriesChart) without connecting lines? I'm trying to plot how long various reports take to run. A line connecting two reports that may have run an hour apart just doesn't make sense.

I've tried a "HiLow" chart, but it requires groups of four datapoints. That really messes up my ability to zoom-in on sections of the chart.

Thanks in advance,
John

David Gilbert

RE: Chart without Lines

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:05 pm

Hi John,

A developer has just promised to send me code for a ScatterPlot class which may do what you want...and I'm pretty sure someone else sent me something similar in the last month or two but I haven't got around to adding it to the site. I'll see what I can find. I am in the process of catching up with a backlog of work right now...

Regards,

DG.

John Currier

Post by John Currier » Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:46 pm

ScatterPlot sounds like what I'm looking for.

Tks,
John

John Currier

Post by John Currier » Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:18 pm

David, it would be much easier to extend XYPlot if you replaced your Line class with something that wasn't Line2D specific but instead contained a Shape. How about naming it something like "ShapeBundle"?

Changing the appearance of Plots would then be as simple as extending the Plot and implementing getShapes() (renamed version of getLines() with protected (not private) access). The new extension wouldn't have to duplicate the somewhat complex draw methods of the plots and would therefore be much less likely to be broken by new releases.

Just an idea after creating a ScatterPlot extension of XYPlot,
John