A few Question...

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Michel Lehon

A few Question...

Post by Michel Lehon » Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:44 am

Hi,

I'm working for a small company dedicated to server side development using Java (and SAS, but that does not matter much here).
We are doing Business Decision Tools (Like multidimentional data analysis tools) and giving them for free to our customers (who pay for service, support, and custom development/add-ons).

Currently we are using a small applet to our graphical needs, but we need to step up a little bit.

I was wondering if JFreeChart would help us to fulfill our needs.

To summurize we need things like stacked bars charts, line charts (with different scales on each sides), and so on...

We can invest some time in the development but certainly not enough to build it all by ourselves (hence this mail).

What we can bring to the party is expertise in the servlet world (I saw questions about that), but sadly not much about JSP.

I would also like to see if it is possible to produce SVG out of JFreeChart (i.e. using Apache Batik's SVGGraphics2D to draw the chart). I there any interest in that here too ?

And last I wonder about the License (LGPL), can we embed this in a proprietary product ? I know that we would have to give back the updates to JFreeChart itself to the community and that is certainly not a problem.

Thanks for reading.

Michel Lehon
Outwares

PS: for the curious... we have live demos (on an ADSL line so its quite slow 128kbits/sec upload) of our things...
main entry: http://lln.outwares.com/ceres

David Gilbert

RE: A few Question...

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:19 am

Hi Michel,

I'm working on the next version of JFreeChart right now, and it will include many new features including stacked bar charts. You can follow the progress on the JFreeChart project page on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfreechart) where the latest code is always available via CVS download. You can also join the project if you want to help out with the development.

I have not tried out Batik for producing SVG yet. In theory it should be a simple case of directing JFreeChart at the SVGGraphics2D - it will be great if it works! Let me know if you try it out before I get around to it.

The LGPL allows you to use JFreeChart in proprietary software as long as you make the source code to JFreeChart (including amendments that you make to it) available to the users of your software. You can get more information about the licence from the Free Software Foundation (www.fsf.org).

Regards,

DG.

Michel Lehon

Post by Michel Lehon » Mon Oct 22, 2001 1:41 pm

David,

I did a quick (and dirty) hack to the Servlet available on the JFreeChart to see if JFreeChart and Batik could be used together... and it works quite nicely (I just changed the Graphics2D to be SVGGraphics2D, and the content type).

I will try to cleanup my code a little bit and come up with an example one of these days (probably this week).

The nice thing is that if the client has the Adobe AVG plugin, he can zoom in the graphics to see the details.

Michel.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:16 am

Hi Michel,

An example would be great, I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it...but especially me!

Regards,

DG.