Documentation 0.6.0 update

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Randy Kemp

Documentation 0.6.0 update

Post by Randy Kemp » Thu Nov 29, 2001 3:01 pm

I downloaded the new 0.6.0 that was created Nov. 27, and then the pdf document jfreechart.pdf. When I compared this to the old document, it looks like the same one for 0.5.6. Do you have an update in progress to reflect 0.6.0, and an EST when it may be available? Or are there no changes in documentation for the two releases?

michiel

RE: Documentation 0.6.0 update

Post by michiel » Thu Nov 29, 2001 3:37 pm

Just did an upgrade yesterday, after playing a bit with .56 and there are diffrences, most important:

- now 2 jars: jcommon & jfreechart
- DataSource renamed to Dataset (lowercase 's')

The Dataset's have been moved to the jcommon (not at sourceforge, download it from the homepage). Can't completly get the concept of dataset's but that's my problem.

So the (excellent) documention is now out of sync. But I like the improvements. Thnx dg,

Michiel

Randy Kemp

Post by Randy Kemp » Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:14 pm

But I noticed other things have changed, and this became apparent with a servlet application I'm trying to develop using jfreechart.
In 0.5.6, in JFreeChart.java, there are
Static Methods to construct ready-made charts
such as createVerticalBarChart (DataSource data)
which are not present in 0.6.0 JFreeChart.java

Are they now in jcommon? Is there anything else that was rearranged, such as the above example?

michiel

Post by michiel » Fri Nov 30, 2001 4:08 am

Yes, but it's called progress...:-) ChartFactory now contains the methods to create a chart. So instead of:

chart.createVerticalBarChart(categoryData);

you now have to call:

chart = ChartFactory.createVerticalBarChart("title", "cat","ytitle", categoryData, legendtrue);

something to do with reading a book about patterns a assume.

A pity that the servlet example is broke by this, that was the thing I was attracted and impressed by but probbly there's a good reason!

Michiel

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Nov 30, 2001 10:15 am

Hi Michiel,

Thanks for your post. Somebody else suggested that I move the createXXXChart methods to a separate class, and I think the code is cleaner that way so I made the change. Unfortunately I forgot who made the suggestion, so they didn't get a credit in the source code (for which I apologise).

I know a lot of people have found the servlet example very useful. I've never run it myself, and know little about servlets. If someone could fix it to work with 0.6.0 I will post an update on the website.

Regards,

DG.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Nov 30, 2001 10:57 am

Hi Randy,

The PDF documentation has not been updated yet. When it is completed, it will be released as the first "not-for-free" product on www.jrefinery.com. I'll post an announcement about this on the website soon. My motivation for this change is (a) to help fund the costs of running the website and JFreeChart development in general, and (b) to make more of my "non-free" time available for open source work.

In case this worries anyone, let me state now that the licence for JFreeChart (the GNU Lesser General Public Licence) will NOT be changing. The source code (and Javadoc HTML documentation) will remain free.

There have been a number of API changes in JFreeChart between versions 0.5.6 and 0.6.0. The most significant is that the XXXDataSource classes have been renamed XXXDataset (JDBC uses the DataSource name, so I wanted to avoid any confusion) and moved to the com.jrefinery.data.* package in the JCommon class library (to underline the separation between the data and the presentation of the data). I should probably include a list of the changes in the README file - I can't remember everything I changed though. I have started to keep notes of changes in each of the source files, and you are free to browse the CVS repository on SourceForge if you need specific details. The API will continue to evolve right up to version 1.0.0. After that, it is less likely to change.

If anything else in the release is causing confusion, please ask...

Regards,

DG.

Randy Kemp

Post by Randy Kemp » Fri Nov 30, 2001 3:27 pm

Hi, David. In case others may complain for charging for documentation, then I would point out that Jboss at www.jboss.org, which is a wonderful, open source, EJB server, does the same thing. But I do have a question on what you plan to charge for the documentation. If I remember correctly, Jboss is charging $10. Do you have a figure in mind yet?