JFreeChart for stock charts?

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Alex

JFreeChart for stock charts?

Post by Alex » Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:26 am

Hello,

I am trying to find a charting package that could be used to display streaming financial data like stock prices with X axis time increments of 1 min to 1 day.

Is anyone using JFreeChart for this purpose? Does it handle dynamic data very well, e.g. adding one new data point or changing the last data point?

Also, does JFreeChart support candlesticks charts?
Also, autoscaling of the chart is a very nice feature.

If someone knows of another java chart api that can do candlestick charts and dynamic data for a java application (not servlet/applet), then please email me.

Thank you,

-Alex

David Gilbert

RE: JFreeChart for stock charts?

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:15 am

Hi Alex,

JFreeChart is improving all the time at dynamic updates. But keep in mind that it is intended for occasional updates (like someone editing a table), not real-time animation (the charts are completely redrawn each time the data changes, so performance is a problem if you want to update many times per second).

On my links page you will find a reference to a book by Laurence Vanhelsuwe - in there he writes up a chart bean that is specifically designed for realtime updates.

A developer submitted a candlesticks plot class last week. It has been committed to the CVS repository on SourceForge and will appear in version 0.6.1 which will probably be released next week.
There are links to all the open source chart libraries that I am aware of, at the bottom of the JFreeChart page. I don't know if any of them do what you want.

Regards,

DG.