New to JFreeChart. Where do I start?

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Jason Brawner

New to JFreeChart. Where do I start?

Post by Jason Brawner » Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:19 pm

I've downloaded the example application and looked over the documentation. This appears to be a very nice product.

I'd like to start learning how to use this tool, particularly with charts similar to the 'Time Series' examples given. Where do I start? Which classes are used to create this type of chart?

Any ideas or samples of code will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

David Gilbert

RE: New to JFreeChart. Where do I start?

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Dec 19, 2001 9:22 am

Hi Jason,

You should start by looking through the JFreeChartDemo.java source file, and also the ChartFactory.java source file. One thing to keep in mind with the demo application - the data is hard-coded, which is not recommended (it just makes it easier to have a self-contained demo).

The PDF documentation is, unfortunately, a little out of date, but you might want to have a quick read through it as it does describe a few of the concepts. Unfortunately I've changed a few class names, so it might just be confusing...

The Javadoc HTML is fairly up-to-date.

Regards,

DG.

Omar

Post by Omar » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:21 am

It is not just that the PDF file is out dated, but the javadoc available is also incomplete.

The JFreeChartDemo uses many classes of which the no javadocs are avalable and no source code are provided.

Please provided these materials. We would wasting our time with trial and error trying to figure out what classes or functions does what.

Omar

Post by Omar » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:21 am

It is not just that the PDF file is out dated, but the javadoc available is also incomplete.

The JFreeChartDemo uses many classes of which the no javadocs are avalable and no source code are provided.

Please provided these materials. We would wasting our time with trial and error trying to figure out what classes or functions does what.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:41 pm

Hi Omar,

From the README file distributed with JFreeChart 0.7.0:

<snip>
3. DEPENDENCIES
JFreeChart requires JDK 1.2 or later. In addition, it uses classes from the JCommon class library (also available from www.jrefinery.com), version 0.5.2 or later. The JCommon jar file is included in the JFreeChart download, but you may want to download JCommon separately to obtain the full source code (also under the GNU Lesser General Public Licence).
<snip>

The JCommon Class Library download contains the documentation that you require...

Regards,

Dave Gilbert