Problems with instalation

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
ale

Problems with instalation

Post by ale » Sat Nov 25, 2000 11:56 am

Hi... I instaled the tool two months ago, but now I am try to instal it again, but I can't.

Can you help me with this?

I am following the instruction in the pdf file, but when I compile the source code with the instruction javac -g:none -O -verbose \com\jrefinery\chart\demo\JFreeChartDemo.java

I get 56 errors. Those say that some clases are not founded.

The last time I instaled the tool, I didn't follow this way. I compile every charpter each by each.. and I did not have any problem, but now I can't do it by any of boths ways, because I get this errors.

What do you think I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

David Gilbert

RE: Problems with instalation

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Nov 27, 2000 7:47 am

Ale,

First, you don't have to recompile the source code unless you really want to...all the precompiled classes are in the jfreechart.jar file.

If you do recompile using the Java command line tools, then you have to make sure javac knows where to find the source files for all the classes. The easiest way to do this is to make sure you are in the "source" directory when you start the javac utility. The source directory has nothing in it but the "com" directory (so it is at the top of the package hierarchy).

Then you tell javac the relative path to JFreeChartDemo.java which is:

com/jrefinery/chart/demo/JFreeChartDemo.java

It looks like you have added a backslash in front of this in your sample command line - you should probably remove that (although I don't have access to a Windows machine right now to test ).

If you are still having problems, copy and paste the first few lines of the error message you receive and post it here.

Regards,

DG.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Nov 27, 2000 7:57 am

Here's a link to Sun's explanation of <a href=@http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/do ... .html">how Java finds classes using the classpath</a>.

Hope that helps.

DG.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Nov 27, 2000 8:01 am

Oops...messed up that link:

<a href="http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/do ... es.html</a>

Hope this one works.

DG.