Infinity value in Value tag

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
Helljedi

Infinity value in Value tag

Post by Helljedi » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:07 pm

Hi,

I build the data by code and I need to know if there's a word or something to represent the infinity, or should I assign inf as 0 in order to avoid exceptions. Is there anybody that could help me?

Thanks for all.

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
antibot: No, of course not.

Post by david.gilbert » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:40 pm

Double.POSITIVE_INFINITY and Double.NEGATIVE_INFINITY are used in Java, but they will cause trouble if you put them in a dataset and try to plot them.
David Gilbert

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program

Helljedi

Post by Helljedi » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:06 am

Is there any word to put in a dataset that means infinity, like INF, or MAX ?? If I want to represent a dataset that contains infinity (a number divided by zero), should I substitute this value by 0 in order to view the chart? Thanks so much.

Morwen

Infinity

Post by Morwen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:59 am

Hey everyone,

Has there been any change with a way to plot Infinity in JFreeChart?

Thanks in advanced,

Morwen.

RichardWest

Re: Infinity

Post by RichardWest » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:08 am

Morwen wrote:Has there been any change with a way to plot Infinity in JFreeChart?
A humorist's and purist's answer: plot nothing but one bar and leave off the range axis. In the truest sense of infinity, any finite data you have on the plot would be so small (infinitesimally small in fact) that even a painted atom would be too large to represent it in true scale.
Richard West
Design Engineer II
Advanced Micro Devices
Sunnyvale, CA

Morwen

Post by Morwen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:04 pm

Well, considering you'll usually want to put infinite values with finite values, I'd expect it to appear as "infinity sign", and act the same way as 0 for positive (Above axis) and negative infinity to appear below axis, but the same as 0 in all other respects, and yet, would not affect other values (Since we DO want to see them, unlike what would happen when we scale it to size).
I do agree that we shouldn't have a value axis, since it has an infinite value.

In essence, I saw there was no real handling for what David mentioned above still in version 1.04.

Hope this helps a little,

Morwen.

david.gilbert
antibot: No, of course not.

Post by david.gilbert » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:31 pm

Morwen wrote:Well, considering you'll usually want to put infinite values with finite values, I'd expect it to appear as "infinity sign", and act the same way as 0 for positive (Above axis) and negative infinity to appear below axis, but the same as 0 in all other respects, and yet, would not affect other values (Since we DO want to see them, unlike what would happen when we scale it to size).
I agree, it would be a good thing to add handling for these values.
David Gilbert

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program

Morwen

Post by Morwen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Do you expect to add handling to it in one of the next versions? Any predicment?