Problem with servlet utilities

A free public discussion forum for the JFreeChart class library.

Problem with servlet utilities

Postby eels06 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:24 pm

hello everybody,

i'm a new jfreechart user, i'm tring to save charts using ServletUtilities class.

Here is my code :

Code: Select all

try {
   result = ServletUtilities.saveChartAsJPEG(chart, WIDTH, HEIGHT, session);
   result = "./DisplayChart?filename=" + result ;
   LOG.debug("chart sauvé à l'adresse : "+result) ;
} catch (IOException e) {...}

and i have this stack trace :

16:16:11,657 - ERROR org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jonas].[localhost].[/Pangoo-Web].[action] [http-9000-Processor25] - Servlet.service() for servlet action threw exception
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: setAttribute: Non-serializable attribute
   at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.java:1251)
   at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade.setAttribute(StandardSessionFacade.java:129)
   at org.jfree.chart.servlet.ServletUtilities.registerChartForDeletion(ServletUtilities.java:310)
   at org.jfree.chart.servlet.ServletUtilities.saveChartAsJPEG(ServletUtilities.java:264)
   at com.orange.pangoo.chart.ChartBuilder.buildLastMeasureChart(ChartBuilder.java:136)
   at com.orange.pangoo.chart.ChartBuilder.buildLastMeasureChart(ChartBuilder.java:89)
   at com.orange.pangoo.action.chart.LastGraphAction.execute(LastGraphAction.java:85)
   at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:413)
   at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:225)
   at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1858)
   at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:446)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:743)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
   at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor205.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
   at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:243)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)
   at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:275)
   at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:161)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:245)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.access$000(ApplicationFilterChain.java:50)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1.run(ApplicationFilterChain.java:156)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:152)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
   at org.objectweb.jonas.web.catalina55.ResetAuthenticationValve.invoke(ResetAuthenticationValve.java:62)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
   at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
   at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

This line throws the exception :
result = ServletUtilities.saveChartAsJPEG(chart, WIDTH, HEIGHT, session);

When i don't use the session parameter it works (but the chart is marked as "one-time" and deleted by the DisplayChart servlet right after it is streamed to the client)

I can't find where is the problem... can somebody help me ?

thank you
eels06

Postby demonhead » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:31 pm

org.jfree.chart.servlet.ServletUtilities.registerChartForDeletion(ServletUtilities.java:310)

Thats where the problem lies,have alook at the source code you shoudl be able to debug the problem
demonhead

Postby eels06 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:27 am

yes, you're right.

Here is the code of ServletUtilities.registerChartForDeletion(...)
310 ChartDeleter chartDeleter = (ChartDeleter) Session.getAttribute("JFreeChart_Deleter");
311 if (chartDeleter == null) {
312    chartDeleter = new ChartDeleter();
313    session.setAttribute("JFreeChart_Deleter", chartDeleter);
314 }

It seems that i can't put a chartDeleter in my session... i gonna try to find out why

:D
eels06

Postby eels06 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:09 pm

:roll: i can't manage to find why this code doesn't work...

i don't know why ServletUtilities is not able to put (or get) a chart deleter in (from) my Session ????
eels06

Postby Taqua » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:08 pm

The ChartDeleter class does not implement the Serializable interface. Fix that and you can add it to the session. (The servlet standard says, any object you add to the session must be serializable, so that it can be used in clustered environments.)

Regards,
Thomas
Taqua
JFreeReport Project Leader

Postby eels06 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:59 pm

thanks for your answers.
eels06

Re: Problem with servlet utilities

Postby banman101 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:06 pm

I ran into this same problem. For me, it is caused by my having <distributable /> tag defined in my web.xml.

I passed in a null session to avoid the error as was described above.
banman101

Re: Problem with servlet utilities

Postby samsudeen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Sir, I am having a problem with the ServletUtilities.java.
It being a java.lang.Class type I do not know how to
initialize this class with the web.xml file of a servlet
class, for exaple HelloServlet3.java. I am just one
among the beginners of the java programing language.
Kindly look forward for your reply. Appreciate
samsudeen
samsudeen

Return to JFreeChart - General