A Glimpse of JFreeChart 3D

A free public discussion forum for the JFreeChart class library.

A Glimpse of JFreeChart 3D

Postby david.gilbert » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:27 pm

I've mentioned a few times in the forum that I've started some work on a simple 3D graphics rendering engine that will hopefully lead to support for "real" 3D charts in the future. It's still *very* early days, but I've made a little demo to show what I have so far:

http://www.jroller.com/dgilbert/entry/a ... eechart_3d
Last edited by david.gilbert on Thu May 22, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Ask your company to buy the JFreeChart Developer Guide
:idea: Check out other products sold by my company Object Refinery Limited
david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
 
Posts: 11199
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:29 am

Postby jwenting » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:00 pm

Looking nice. Would like to see some surfaces (3D planes) though instead of shapes as those are more relevant to charting.

P.S. what do you think of the book? Haven't read anything by Leen Ameraal in nearly a decade because I wasn't impressed with his writings in the mid 1990s (note, he used to write for Sybex at the time, who were at the far bottom of the quality pile at the time).
From Amazon's mixed bag of reviews little can be gauged except that people think the price is a bit steep :wink:
jwenting
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 am

Postby david.gilbert » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:06 pm

jwenting wrote:Looking nice. Would like to see some surfaces (3D planes) though instead of shapes as those are more relevant to charting.


If you start the demo with WebStart, you can click on those tabs and see some more chart-relevant examples.

jwenting wrote:P.S. what do you think of the book? Haven't read anything by Leen Ameraal in nearly a decade because I wasn't impressed with his writings in the mid 1990s (note, he used to write for Sybex at the time, who were at the far bottom of the quality pile at the time).
From Amazon's mixed bag of reviews little can be gauged except that people think the price is a bit steep :wink:


The book has helped me, so in that sense it is good. At the same time, I think it could be better structured, especially the demo code which is quite an important part of the book. I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10.
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Ask your company to buy the JFreeChart Developer Guide
:idea: Check out other products sold by my company Object Refinery Limited
david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
 
Posts: 11199
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:29 am

Postby lukkumar » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi,
The 3D charts are looking were nice. Go JFreeChart3D Go... U really Rock...Gilbert...
I was wondering how well these 3D charts would work in browser's, I mean as a web application.
I have never done mouse operations on the charts in web applications. Can you please suggest how would it be possible for one to perform mouse operations on a chart that is rendered in a browser as a web application...

Thanks,
Laks.
lukkumar
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:10 pm

Postby joolz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:42 am

Pretty cool, though given all my work is web based thin client stuff, I probably won't be able to use it.
joolz
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:38 am
Location: Australia

Postby jwenting » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:43 am

A web application would of course see a static image, not something you can rotate.

An applet could be used to provide animation.
jwenting
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 am

Postby joolz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:55 am

An applet would certainly do the trick, but then the web application is no longer thin client.
joolz
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:38 am
Location: Australia

Postby jwenting » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:23 am

true. And no image format in the world will give you animation like that.
Unless you're going to render an animated gif out of a few dozen frames created out of the same source data but rotated slightly for each frame, and in that case the animation won't be user controlled but a predetermined cycle.
jwenting
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 am

Postby develop » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:41 pm

this would be so cool.. is this based on java2d or we need to install java3d if we really want to use this charts. (when it will released).

right now we use 3d charts using java3d. if this is based on java2d then i can not wait to replace.. we use jfreechart for all other charts.

Good work.. keep it up.
develop
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:01 pm

Postby david.gilbert » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:44 pm

develop wrote:this would be so cool.. is this based on java2d or we need to install java3d if we really want to use this charts. (when it will released).


It is based on Java2D not Java3D.
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Ask your company to buy the JFreeChart Developer Guide
:idea: Check out other products sold by my company Object Refinery Limited
david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
 
Posts: 11199
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:29 am

Postby RichardWest » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:24 pm

jwenting wrote:A web application would of course see a static image, not something you can rotate.

An applet could be used to provide animation.


jwenting wrote:An applet would certainly do the trick, but then the web application is no longer thin client.


jwenting wrote:true. And no image format in the world will give you animation like that.
Unless you're going to render an animated gif out of a few dozen frames created out of the same source data but rotated slightly for each frame, and in that case the animation won't be user controlled but a predetermined cycle.


All very valid points, but people want 3d since Excel has it. If we can get 3d into JFreeChart, we can get more people moving away from Excel and embracing JFreeChart. JFreeChart is certainly lighter weight than Excel, more portable, and less restrictive/more flexible with data and customizations.

As for displaying the 3d charts in a static context like an image, all 3d charts suffer from the issues with perspective, viewing angle, etc. In these cases, we are fortunate that 3d charts/datasets can easily become 2d charts in almost all cases without lose of information. You can even collapse 4d charts/data into a series of 2d charts.
Richard West
Design Engineer II
Advanced Micro Devices
Sunnyvale, CA
RichardWest
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Postby jwenting » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:45 am

no problem with 3D, all I was pointing out that someone expecting to get the functionality of the demo (so user controlled rotation and translation of the graph) in a webbrowser will need applets.
jwenting
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 am

Postby mhilpert » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Very nice, David! I'm also starting some 3D graphics stuff on my own and want to avoid Java 3D (APIs). Can you recommend this book with this in mind or does it (also) has lotsa of Java 3D API examples?
using JFreeChart 1.0.15 with JDK 1.7.0_25
mhilpert
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:57 pm
Location: Germany

Postby david.gilbert » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:47 pm

mhilpert wrote:Very nice, David! I'm also starting some 3D graphics stuff on my own and want to avoid Java 3D (APIs). Can you recommend this book with this in mind or does it (also) has lotsa of Java 3D API examples?


The book doesn't use Java3D at all, mostly just java.awt.Graphics (I think the first edition of the book was published for JDK 1.1). The authors have posted most of the example code here if you want to take a look:

http://home.planet.nl/~ammeraal/grjava2e.html

I recommend the book, simply on the basis that it helped me quite a lot. It is not perfect by any means - at times I felt like the book could have been better organised. But I don't see any alternatives around (aside from going the route of Java3D or OpenGL), and it certainly isn't a *bad* book.
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Ask your company to buy the JFreeChart Developer Guide
:idea: Check out other products sold by my company Object Refinery Limited
david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
 
Posts: 11199
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:29 am

Postby rob_dawson » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:20 pm

This looks great it would be really useful for our application. Do you have any timescales on when this might be released ?
rob_dawson
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:15 pm

Next

Return to JFreeChart - General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests