Kagi, Renko, Points and figures and Equivolume charts

Discussion about JFreeChart related to stockmarket charts.
fede

Kagi, Renko, Points and figures and Equivolume charts

Post by fede » Mon May 29, 2006 9:47 am

HI,
I wanted to know if someone has already coded kagi, renko or equivolume graphs using jfreechart?

I'm writting a technical analysis application with Jfreechart, and i use a CombinedXYPlot with a dateAxis (or periodAxis). I have no problem to plot Candlesticks, Bars and continuous lines, but the problem is different for kagi, renko, point and figure and equivolume because they don't depend of the time. My question does it possible to plot (kagi, renko, point and figure or equivolume)charts using dateAxis or peridoAxis? And if not which domainaxis have i to use?

Thanks a lot!

chartingjf

Post by chartingjf » Thu May 15, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi fede,

Wonder if you have the codes figured out for kagi, renko or equivolume charts. Would you mind to share them if you have?

Thanks, charting
na

tharter

P&F is not a TIME based chart

Post by tharter » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 pm

In fact the meaning of the domain axis in a P&F chart just means 'there was a change in market behavior here'. I'd just use a numerical axis for both range and domain since the domain has no fixed relation to passage of time. Traditionally P&F charts I've seen don't even label the domain axis.

The RANGE axis OTOH has a defined scale. I haven't tried to code one of these up, but my approach would be to use straight up 'just plot the points I give you', and you'll have to sort out a way to make some red and some green or whatever. If the size of the points is adjusted right, it should look pretty similar to the P&F's I've used.

Now, generating break lines may be a bit more interesting, but I think you can manage it with multiple data series. Most of the work is not really going to be the plotting so much as generating the data set to begin with.