Date is merged incorrectly when using SegmentedTimeline

Discussion about JFreeChart related to stockmarket charts.
amarnath578
antibot: No, of course not.

Date is merged incorrectly when using SegmentedTimeline

Post by amarnath578 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Date is merged incorrectly when using SegmentedTimeline.newMondayThroughFridayTimeline() on my charts.

For Example: I have the historical data for my one-week-history-chart since 22nd June. This chart excludes the week ends from plotting as there will not be any trading activity.

I have the data for 22nd (Wed), 23rd (Thu), 24th (Fri), 27th (Mon), 28th (Tue). The data is correctly plotted as expected by excluding the weekends from the chart and no data gaps are shown for this time period.

However, one issue I see is that the date labels are incorrectly overshadowed as shown in the image. Always, Monday (27th) Date label and Saturday (25th) date labels are clubbed rendered on each other.

Infact what is happening is that even though the week ends are excluded from the chart, there is still vertical grid line displayed for Saturday. In addition, there is a vertical grid line for Monday as it should be. However, there is very small gap between these two vertical grin lines. When the dates are shown for these two grid lines, they are mixed. Unfortunately, I don't know how to submit an image here.

I can reproduce this issue with yearly-historic-chart as well. Can someone please take a look at this issue?

Thanks.

amarnath578
antibot: No, of course not.

Re: Date is merged incorrectly when using SegmentedTimeline

Post by amarnath578 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:06 pm

This whole question actually boils down to "Should the charts be showing date tick label for Saturdays when they are excluded using SegmentedTimeLine?"

We would not have had this issue if there is no vertical grid line shown for Saturday. Because it is displayed and there is another vertical grid line for Monday, the date tick labels do not have much space to show them correctly. Hence, Monday date tick label is rendered on top of Saturday label.

Please someone confirm if there is a way not to show the vertical grid lines on the plot for Saturdays.

Thanks.