Does JFreeChart make use of a servlet to createthe graph?

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
simplename

Does JFreeChart make use of a servlet to createthe graph?

Post by simplename » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:12 am

hey all

I am quite a newbie to this and was wondering if JFreeChart makes use of servlets to both save and create the graph? I am to avoid using any applets for this project.

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
antibot: No, of course not.

Post by david.gilbert » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:53 pm

You can generate a chart image (say, in PNG format) in a servlet and stream that to the browser, no problem. JFreeChart will also help you to create an HTML image map, if you need tooltips or hyperlinks in the chart image on your web page.
David Gilbert

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program

agux

Re --> HowTo...?

Post by agux » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:42 am

Is there any HowTo around there to achieve it? I don't mind using servlets because using JSPs doesn't seem that gives me what I need. (Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:16 am).

So, If you could tell me where can I see how to insert the charts and control allmost everything about how it is created (= shown), I would appreciate it a lot. (I think that if I see some example I may find what I need).

Thank you a lot;

david.gilbert
antibot: No, of course not.

Post by david.gilbert » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:52 am

There's a chapter in the JFreeChart Developer Guide that walks you through the basics. I'm not a server-side developer though, so it is just the basics. (The examples use Tomcat and MySQL, but you should be able to adapt them to other servlet containers and databases pretty easily).
David Gilbert

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program