Help Needed Urgently : Reporting MS Excel Charts

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
asif

Help Needed Urgently : Reporting MS Excel Charts

Post by asif » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 am

Hi All,

I am new to this forum . I need help urgently.
My requirement is that I have to generate reports for my application. The reports have to be generated in ms excel with lots of charts like column chart, line chart, combination charts, excel tables e.t.c. I have come accross Jfree chart. I need to find out whether jfree chart can help me in generating the charts in ms excel. How do I approach this?

Thanks in Advance.

Taqua
JFreeReport Project Leader

Post by Taqua » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:22 am

No, JFreeChart would not be able to help you here.

In the Java-World, there is currently no open-source way to define charts in Excel (due to the weird and totally undocumented* nature of the fileformat). There may be some commercial providers of Excel-export solutions that help you solve this problem.

However, if you are not bound to Java as programming language, then using the COM interfaces of Excel itself might be a more sensible approach. If you already have a MS-Office license and work on Windows anyway, then this is a very easy way to create Excel-Documents.

* Although Microsoft published the specification in the meantime, the license for these documents contains several parts that makes it a potential minefield for any opensource developer (including but not limited to patent-pledges for the opensource community that protect the developer but not the user of the opensource software).