Port of JFreeChart to C# for use with ASP.NET

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
RugWarrior

Port of JFreeChart to C# for use with ASP.NET

Post by RugWarrior » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi,

I started a paid project to port JFreeChart to C# for ASP.NET but my developer asked me this question:

"I plan to start porting the JCommon library, it says in the documentation provided that this is going to be deprecated some time in the new versions of JFreeChart, but as it is used throughout the library at the moment..."

Is this correct? Any info on this before investing too much time into this?!

The other question is as I will certainly release it as LGPL is there a chance to get one Developer Guide for him?

Cu
Sol Neckels

RichardWest

Post by RichardWest » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:55 am

While I have nothing against the idea of porting JFreeChart to C#, I have to question the soundness of the idea. There are several concerns that I have:
  • Creating a C# version of JFreeChart will be time consuming and would likely be an expensive undertaking for you since you are outsourcing the work to another developer.

The codebase for JFreeChart is constantly being updated, fixed, expanded, etc., so there would have to be a large effort to keep the C# version in sync with the Java version.

Two different version of the same library with two different developers will likely cause there to be conflicts.

An entire separate support system will need to be in place for the C# version of JFreeChart.
JFreeChart is a great Java library for charting, but it is a Java library. Would it not be easier to create a charting library specifically for C# that is inspired by JFreeChart. A separate sister library would allow both JFreeChart and the C# library exist without being too closely tied to one another or restricted by one another.
Richard West
Design Engineer II
Advanced Micro Devices
Sunnyvale, CA

RugWarrior

The idea behind it

Post by RugWarrior » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:35 pm

I can understand these concerns but developing a new c# charting application would be very expensive and time consuming. I need this app for an intranet project so that there is actually no need to publish the sources but I think that a free c# version might be of quite some interest. As it is a derived work (correct me if it may be not) it is fair to release it but it would be great to make at least some money with it to keep up with jfreechart and improve it for easy usage.

Regards
Sol

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
antibot: No, of course not.

Post by david.gilbert » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi,

Is the JFreeChart.NET project any help?

http://www.ujihara.jp/jbyjsharp/jfreechart/

Regarding the JCommon library, what's going to happen in JFreeChart 1.2.0 is that JCommon will no longer be a dependency, but the required classes (around 30 of them I think) will be copied from JCommon into JFreeChart in the org.jfree.chart.util.* package mostly. Thomas (Pentaho Reporting) is doing or has done something similar for his usage of JCommon.

I'll e-mail you some details about the JFreeChart Developer Guide.
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program

RugWarrior

JFreeChart.NET

Post by RugWarrior » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi David,

the JFreeChart.NET project may be of some help :)

Thank you for the info about the JCommon library!

Cu
Sol

RugWarrior

Question

Post by RugWarrior » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi,

when do you expect to release the next version of JFreeChart?

Regards
Sol