Forum downtime...

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
David Gilbert

Forum downtime...

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:04 am

I will be taking the forums off-line on Friday morning around 8.30am (GMT) to install new software (I've decided to replace Phorum with phpBB). If all goes to plan, the forums will be back on-line by midday at the latest.

Regards,

Dave Gilbert

David Gilbert

Re: Forum downtime...

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:03 pm

Reminder!

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
antibot: No, of course not.

Re: Forum downtime...

Post by david.gilbert » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:01 pm

So far, it looks like all is well.

Regards,

Dave Gilbert

Irv Thomae

Forum Downtime...

Post by Irv Thomae » Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:34 pm

Some quick reactions to the changeover:
(1) I like the way this new version shows who posted most recently in each thread (and when) - other things being equal, that ought to make it easier to see at a glance which threads I want to (re)read.

(2) But, in my browser (Netsc 6.3), the old "phorum" software showed the word "NEW" in red letters next to each thread that had changed since my last visit or refresh. This one relies on a rather subtle color change to show me what I've already read - worse, those color differences disappear when I "Reload" the top page.

(3) To write this message, I had clicked on "Reply to this Message" IIR. So I was surprised when the form that came up had a fill-in-your-text field labelled "Subject". Am I responding in thread, or have I inadvertently started a second but same-titled thread?

Fran Tonello

Post by Fran Tonello » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:15 am

Hi Dave,

One thing I notice with the new forum tool is that we guests can edit each other's posts (or at least that button is enabled). You might want to see if that can be disabled. Fortunately, we can't edit YOUR posts. ;-)

david.gilbert
      JFreeChart Project Leader
      antibot: No, of course not.

Post by david.gilbert » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:28 am

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the report. I've made a change to the editing permissions that I think will solve the problem, but let me know if it doesn't.

Regards,

Dave Gilbert

Fran Tonello

Post by Fran Tonello » Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:17 pm

Works great! You are imperial and god-like. ;-)