Constant ratio between the units on the x and y-axis

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
bruehlicke

Constant ratio between the units on the x and y-axis

Post by bruehlicke » Wed May 20, 2009 11:58 am

I see there have been numerous discussions around the problem of keeping a constant ratio between the units on the x and y-axes for a JFreeChart.

Since I draw a lot of vectors I need to deal with this problem both a) Initial size (since a sudden legend changes it) and b) Allow user to resize

I want to check the community if there has been established a method doing this supported in the API or do we all have our own workarounds ?

Thanx for a great product
B-)

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
antibot: No, of course not.

Re: Constant ratio between the units on the x and y-axis

Post by david.gilbert » Fri May 22, 2009 8:16 am

I've had one go at this in the past and failed to find a good solution. The problem is that the data area size is determined after the space for the axis labels has been allocated...and if you then change the range of one of the axes then you may change the axis labeling which gets you into a loop.

I would like to find some solution for this, as I'd like to support map based charts and that requires some control over the ratio of the x and y values. But right now I'm busy with some work for a client so it will have to wait. But I'll try to follow the discussion if others have ideas and suggestions (there is something in the patch database I think, and one or two other proposals have been posted in the forum...I think).
David Gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader

:idea: Read my blog
:idea: Support JFree via the Github sponsorship program