Can JFreeChart multi-thread?

A discussion forum for JFreeChart (a 2D chart library for the Java platform).
smilegloria

Can JFreeChart multi-thread?

Post by smilegloria » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:16 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm using JFreeChart ver. 0.9.3 and I know that this version doesn't support multi-thread. Does the new version 0.9.6 support multi-thread? Thx!

Rgds,
Gloria :o

david.gilbert
JFreeChart Project Leader
antibot: No, of course not.

Post by david.gilbert » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:32 am

No, not yet. So you need to make sure datasets are not updated in one thread while the chart is redrawing in another thread. I intend to deal with this in either version 0.9.7 or 0.9.8, if all goes to plan...

Regards,

Dave Gilbert

david.karr

Post by david.karr » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:40 pm

I'm a little new on the JFreeChart/ceWolf scene. Could you clarify what we might do to prevent threading conflicts? You say "make sure datasets are not updated in one thread while the chart is redrawing in another thread". I could use a little more detail, in case I have to implement a workaround for this before you release a version that resolves this.

Of course, the urgency of this may reduce if you end up releasing a fix for this Real Soon Now.

tbardzil

Post by tbardzil » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:33 am

I've been working on solving a nasty bug that is causing my charts to be drawn incorrectly using cewolf when deployed on a multi CPU server. I've posted quite a few messages on the cewolf forum describing the problem, what I've done to patch it, and what is the underlying cause (still unknown).

I'm not updating a dataset and rendering _that_ dataset concurrently but there is concurrent rendering / updating of seperate dataset instances takeing place. I'm assuming the problem is related / caused by the un-thread-safe nature of the JFreeChart library. I've come to this conclusion after first reproducing the problem w/ a simple example (ie its not my code) and searching for the problem in cewolf's source code (not found).

Anyways, it would be great if the whole threading / concurrency issue could be tackeled in the next release of JFreeChart.

Thanks.