Embedding SVG images inside of main SVG image

A discussion forum for JFreeSVG (a fast, lightweight, SVG generator for the Java platform).
craigsdickson
antibot: No, of course not.

Embedding SVG images inside of main SVG image

Post by craigsdickson » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi,

I am attempting to generate a complex image in SVG format and then using it to generate PNG versions of the image at many different sizes (much smaller and much bigger). There may also be a use for the original SVG file in the future.

My challenge is that I have a set of icons that are already in SVG format that I want to embed into the larger main image that I am generating.

I have attempted to do this with Batik and I understand how to bring the icon SVG files into the Graphics2D environment using an ImageTranscoder. However this process is rasterizing the SVG files and turning them into a BufferedImage.

The result is that when I render the main image at larger dimensions, the icons look horrible while the rest of the image is crisp.

Is there a way to achieve what I need using JFreeSVG?

I am wondering if there is a way to simply create a link to the icon files instead of embedding them as one possible solution? Happy to try other solutions as well though.

Thanks